What are Cookies?
When we provide services, we want to make them easy, useful and reliable. Where services are delivered on the internet, this sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example, your computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally.
Cookies are used to improve services for you through, for example:
- Recognising that you may already have given a username and password so you don’t need to do it for every web page requested
- Measuring how many people are using services, so they can be made easier to use and there’s enough capacity to ensure they are fast
- Analysing anonymised data to help us understand how people interact with govt services so we can make them better
How to manage cookies
You can manage these small files and learn more about them from the Government website Internet Browser cookies - what they are and how to manage them. You may also learn how to remove cookies set on your device here.
There are two types of cookie you may encounter when using our website:
- First party cookies: these are our own cookies, controlled by us and used to provide information about usage of our site.
- Third party cookies: these are cookies found in other companies’ internet tools which we are using to enhance our site, for example Facebook or Twitter have their own cookies, which are controlled by them.
HOW TO CONTROL AND DELETE COOKIES
If you wish to restrict or block the cookies which are set by our website, or indeed any other website, you can do this through your browser settings. The ‘Help’ function within your browser should tell you how.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on various browsers. You will also find details on how to delete cookies from your PC or device as well as more general information about cookies.
Please be aware that restricting cookies may impact on the functionality of our website.
To opt-out of third-parties collecting any data regarding your interaction on our website, please refer to their websites for further information.